By Mary Elder
The time has finally come: the last semester of our college career. We are seniors and come May, we will move our tassels to the other side, walk across the stage, and accept our diplomas. This time is filled with a lot of excitement, but also uncertainty as to what will become of us after graduation. We have one semester left and we need to make the most of it. Here are my suggestions for how to get the most out of your senior year!
- Make applying for jobs a job itself. Schedule out time each week to apply for jobs and keep a spread sheet with each company name, job title, description, and when you are expected to hear back (if you know).
- Make an appointment with the AU Career Center early on in the semester. They are more than willing to help us figure out what kind of job we want at what kind of company in a certain city. AU has a great alumni base and there are likely more options in your field than you even realize.
- Explore DC! We are fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the country. Make a list of all the things you haven’t done, but would like to do and make it your mission to explore one new thing each week. Who knows where we will end up after graduation. We need to make the most out of DC while we still can.
- Join a new club or group on campus. It is never too late to meet new people. If there is a group or club that caught your eye, but you just never joined for whatever reason, hit it up! Whether it is signing up for an intramural sport, exercise class, or one of AU’s many clubs, do it! You’ll thank yourself later when you’ve met great new people and had many new experiences. Who knows, it may even be your favorite experience at AU just yet.
- Take advantage of campus events. Go to the fun events hosted by clubs on campus or attend speeches by prominent individuals! Once we graduate, we will miss all of the opportunities that are provided to us at AU!