By Meghan Ott
The beginning of a new semester means an influx of Facebook event invitations from every organization on campus, but we are here to help you sort through and pick the must-see events.
- Host: PRSSA and AMA
- When/Where: September 15 @8:15pm in Forman Theater
- Why you should go: This is an opportunity to hear from reputable AU alumni. If you are just beginning your time here at AU you must be eager to learn from people who started where you did. If your time at AU is coming to a close, then this is the time to network away. This is also a great chance to dress up with your friends. You may even get a good Instagram post out of it.
2. Hasan Minhaj
- Host: SUB and KPU
- When/Where: September 14 @7pm in Bender Arena
- Why you should go: If you are looking for a good laugh after your Wednesday classes, this is the show to be at. Student government brought in some top-notch speakers last semester, and it seems like this one will be no different.
- Host: Alt. Break
- When/Where: September 8 @7pm in Battelle Atrium
- Why you should go: AU has an incredible alternative break programs. Instead of going home for school breaks, you can travel the world doing service while meeting new people, and learning about social issues. These programs are both domestic and international, but to know which one is right for you, head over to the information fair.
4. Troy Davis Remembrance
- Host: Kay Spiritual center
- When/Where: September 21 @ noon in McKinley Innovation Lab
- Why you should go: Five years ago Troy Davis was executed in Georgia even though there was ample evidence to support his innocence. Ben Jealous, former president of the NAACP will be attending as we take time to remember this tragic lost life. If you are passionate about civil rights and criminal justice, this a great event for you to attend.
- Host: PRSSA
- When/Where: September 17 @noon in Katzen
- Why you should go: No matter what year you are it is important to have an up to date headshot for all of your professional profiles. Headshots off campus can be very expensive, but this is the chance to get low price high quality shots. Headshots are a must, and this is the place to get them.
Bonus: Adams Morgan Day
- When/Where: September 11 @noon-6pm in Adams Morgan
- Why you should go: Adams Morgan Day is a great way to get out and get in touch with the DC community. There are a number of vendors selling food, jewelry, and clothes. There is live music and all of the shops are open and some have great deals.